Did you know that by the time you feel thirsty, you could already be dehydrated?
That is why it is so important to be conscious of the amount of fluid you take in, especially if you are active. And now that the weather is getting warmer, we need even more fluids to keep us going!
Follow these guidelines to make sure you are getting enough fluids:
- Aim for 6-8 glasses of fluids daily. This equals 48-64 ounces daily.
- If you are going to exercise, try to drink 2-3 cups 2 hours before exercise.
- While exercising, drink ½ to 1 ½ cups every 15 minutes during exercise.
- After exercise, drink 2-3 cups to replenish the fluids you’ve lost.
- To avoid added sugars and unnecessary calories, choose water for most of your fluids.
- If you need a little flavor boost, but still don’t want toover-do it on sugar and calories, try FRS® healthy energy, vitaminwater zero®, or Propel Zero®.
- If you prefer a juice or juice-flavored drink, make sure to watch your serving sizes and look for 100% fruit juices. For a sparkling fruit juice, try Fruit 66 Sparkling Fruit Juice. And for a delicious combination of both fruit and veggie juices, try V8 Splash®.
And if in doubt, check it out – your urine that is. That’s right, the color of urine is a good indicator of hydration. If it is a pale yellow, you are doing okay. But if it is dark and concentrated, keep drinking fluids – you need more!