Choosing Gluten Free Foods at BI-LO
When you have Celiac Disease or a physician diagnosed gluten-intolerance, avoiding gluten can be a challenge because so many of our pre-packaged foods often contain gluten from ingredients such as wheat, barley, and/or rye. These are the primary grains that you should avoid when you are trying to follow a gluten-free diet.
Many foods available in store are naturally gluten-free, such as fresh fruits and vegetables, fresh meats and seafood, nuts and legumes, natural cheeses and milk. Grains such as buckwheat, millet, quinoa and sorghum are naturally gluten-free grains, and can often be used as substitutes in recipes that normally call for wheat or barley. Potatoes, corn, sweet potatoes, rice wild rice, flax and legumes are also great carbohydrate-rich foods that can be used in place of gluten-containing foods at meals and snacks.
With BI-LO’s Nutritional Tags, finding Gluten Free foods in store has never been easier! Simply look for foods marked with the Gluten Free icon to help you quickly find the foods that meet your needs.
There are many options available at BI-LO for gluten-free packaged foods such as cereals, crackers, breads, pastas, cookies and other snacks. Here is a quick list of just a few of the many packaged gluten-free foods available at BI-LO:
- Dr. Lucy’s Gluten Free Cookies
- Enjoy Life Cereal, Cookies, Granola, Snack Bars, and Trail Mixes
- Hodgson Mill Gluten Free Pastas
- LARABAR Snack Bars - all are gluten free!
- Riceworks Gourmet Brown Rice Crisps (made from rice, but with the texture and crunch of a tortilla chip!)
- Schar Gluten Free Cookies, Breads, Crackers, & Pastas
- thinkThin High Protein Snack Bars
- Udi’s Gluten Free Foods (Bagels, Muffins, Cereals, Breads)
- Chex Cereals, including Rice Chex, Corn Chex, Honey Nut Chex, Chocolate Chex, Cinnamon Chex (Note that Wheat Chex and Multi-Bran Chex are NOT gluten free)
- Keep in mind that condiments for your favorite foods need to be gluten-free as well if you are gluten intolerant. Never fear your summer cookout with these gluten-free toppers and seasonings:
- Heinz Ketchup
- Southern Home Mustard, Mayonnaise and Light Mayonnaise
- Mt. Olive Kosher and Zesty Spears
- Dale’s Steak Seasoning and Reduced Sodium Steak Seasoning
- Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce and Reduced Sodium Worcestershire Sauce
- Stubb’s BBQ Sauces
There are many items available in your neighborhood BI-LO to meet your gluten-free needs. However, if your store does not stock one of the items you are looking for, check out BI-LO’s On-line Specialty Ordering here:
And as always, if you have questions about gluten-free foods, healthy eating, or shopping at BI-LO, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monica Amburn, RD, LD